Friday, May 06, 2011

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

I read this book at Christmas, but at the time I did not want to write about it, or anything really. It was a dry period for my blogging, but it seems that I am starting to come back. But, this is about this wonderful book, and not about my non-writing periods.

This is one of the best books I have read up to now. This book describes a dystopia, one based on Christianity. Women made slaves to their womb, made to serve only one purpose: make babies. Their rights are taken away, their spirits crushed, girls as young as 14 made to marry in order to make babies. Books and knowledge are forbidden, people are kept ignorant.

This book after so many months still haunts me. I still think about this book, about the empty and lost time, that woman had to endure. To stay in an empty room with nothing to do, just waiting... The description of the ceremony, the description of the life of these women, the description of the Aunts and their practices, of how those women were made slaves to their womb. It is a nightmare scenario, but not as fictional as some might think. Just read the Bible, and you will see how misogynistic that book is. Read Paul's epistles and what he thinks of women. I cannot believe that that misogynist is worshiped as a saint by Christians!

Once I started it, and got into it, I could not put it down. I am going to put it in to my list of books that everyone should read.

No comments: